Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Learn some workplace attitude

I love CareerMums. It is my passion and my business. I speak to wonderful women every day who are inspiring, intelligent and resourceful. Which is why I am continually perplexed at the stories of workplace mistreatment of women returning to work. Why is it that many women, after returning to work after parental leave, put up with so much crap in the workplace? Many of us accept lesser roles for lesser pay. We feel 'grateful' for being allowed to come back to work again. We get the run-around from recruiters who don't know what flexibility means.

Think about it like this - what would you do if your child was being bullied at school? You would act. You would try to turn a wrong into a right. Why don't we feel this way about our own challenges?

My favourite saying is 'feel the fear and do it anyway'. Always challenge yourself and your capabilities. After having children, this should be an automatic response for women everytime.

No comments: