Whether in the workforce or at home, here are CareerMums' 6 Strategies to help you and your family weather the economic downturn and generate additional sources of income:
1. Consider volunteering work to build your skills and contacts. Use this experience to springboard into a paid role.
2. Consider contract roles. Contract roles pay per hour so know what you are worth and add superannuation on top. Always be clear about your flexibility requirements and get an ABN if you don't have one.
3. Become an entrepreneur and start your own business. Lay the foundations and start small. Gradually build a flexible business around your family.
4. What have you always wanted to do? Use this year to complete a course or start a degree. Do something for yourself and open up opportunities to generate an income.
5. What are your hobbies? Make some extra cash by making money from something you love doing. For example, if you love to cook, see if you land a casual job preparing food for the local child care centre or retirement village.
6. Be proactive and target flexible employers in more recession-proof industries. Read the CareerMums factsheet on our 'Resources' web page on how to find a flexible job.