How long has it been since you have written a cover letter? For most return to work parents, quite a while.
Here are some quick tips to get you back in the saddle. The letter should:
- be no more than 1 page in length
- be targeted to the position
- emphasize your experience, skills and interests which make you an ideal candidate for the position
- be written in a persuasive tone
The letter will contain 3 short paragraphs:
1. In the opening paragraph, indicate why you are writing and when and where you saw the poistion advertised.
2. In the body paragraph, emphasize the experience and skills you have that are relevant to the position. Indicate why you wish to work for the organisation; be enthusiastic and pursuasive.
3. In the final paragraph, re-state your interest and indicate what you have included with the letter. Indicate your desire to discuss your application at interview.